This is something that I generally forget whenever I create a new dev-box. Visual Studio needs to be running as Administrator otherwise you’ll get messages such as “Access to the path ‘K:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin\InstalledVersion.json’ is denied”:
and “Visual Studio is not running as administrator. Finance and Operations (Dynamics 365) requires Visual Studio to be running as administrator. Please restart Visual Studio as administrator”:
You can always right-click on your VS-shortcut and select “Run as administrator”, but if you’re even remotely like me, you’ll forget that approx 82% of the times.
So what you need to do is to modify the shortcut you’re using. In my case I modify the shortcut in my Taskbar. Right click on the shortcut for Visual Studio and instead of clicking “Run as administrator” you click Properties:
In the properties window you click the Advanced button:
In the window that opens up tick the “Run as administrator”:
Click OK and OK and you’re done. Next time you use the shortcut it runs VS as administrator.
In Dynamics 365 the offline story on the MPOS has been significantly improved since AX 2012. Now it’s more or less a click on the register in Dyn365, install the POS and distribute data. A bit simplified approach to life but anyways.
Here’s something I’ve seen a couple of times now. There’s just no jobs and nothing to process …
The event log gives it away a bit:
Failed to get offline sync data in offline database due to Exception. Error Details: Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=RetailOfflineDatabase;Integrated Security=True;Persist Security Info=False;Pooling=True;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=True
And in the details it’s clear that we’re facing a rights issue here. But in SQL Express with no management tools on the POS machine we don’t have many configuration options and even less when we’re in a setup with a large number of registers.
All you need to do is add the user logged in to Windows to these two groups on the local machine:
Log off and on again to activate the changes. Start your POS and check the database connection status. Hopefully, you should see a lot of jobs now:
You know that the server is running, but your RDP connection request is denied.
This might be due to the introduction of the IP access check introduced not so long ago and on production environment servers. To get around this you need to add your IP address to the white list for the environment.
To do this click Maintain and Enable access:
Select Enable access:
Click + to add a new rule:
Fill in the form with a relevant name and the IP address to white list:
To get your IP you can ask Google or use one of the many web sites offering that service. For example www.whatsmyip.org:
As soon as your have created the new rule you’re good to go (and connect):
When looking at the hosted environments in LCS sometimes the tiles showing updates doesn’t seem to update probably. The symptoms could be that the numbers indicate that you’re missing some updates after updating it all or that the Last run date isn’t updating.
The status is updated through a scheduled task on the server.
It runs a powershell script in C:\LCSDiagnostics\ called CollectData.ps1
You can run it manually (through an elevated powershell) and that should hopefully update the figures.
It would have been nice to be able to see the run history on the task in the scheduler but for some reason that has been disabled:
That is easily fixed. Open the Task scheduler as Administrator and that gives you the option in the right most part of the form:
While testing MPOS changes I had to do an uninstall on my laptop. But every time I tried to uninstall it told me that there was an error and it couldn’t complete the uninstall and that I should contact the administrator.
And then it reappeared in the list of installed apps.
Trying to run the Uninstall-RetailModernPOS.ps1 gave a hint of what’s wrong:
You’ll usually find the script around here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365\70\Retail Modern POS\Tools\
There might be some clever way of fixing this, but in order to move forward I did a quick’n’dirty and not recommended way of fixing it:
Remove the check …
Edit the script by commenting out this line:
This is not recommended and definitely not in a production environment and I do not take any responsibility for any undesired outcome of this. But it did the trick for getting me forward.
Please note, that this doesn’t take away the error. So when you uninstall the next time it’ll still throw the error at you until you once again remove the check.