In the Dynamics 365 POS it’s possible to enable a developer mode that gives you some additional options like seeing the id of the strings, grid views, coloring aids and so on. To enable these features you need to rebuild the POS with the value config.isDebugMode to true in the pos.js file. That’s easy in the CPOS but requires some build/deploy in MPOS.
Our POS developer gave me a tip to shortcut that … a lot. It’s a few easy steps and they go like this:
Enable Developer mode in Windows. That’s done in settings on the box running the POS
Start the POS and hit F12 to enable the developer aid
In the bottom of the console type in Commerce.Config.isDebugMode=true and press Enter
Go to your POS settings to enable the Developer mode flag in here.
This will make some things way easier. Notice, that when done like this it is only for the current session. Doing it in the pos.js file-way is permanent.
In Dynamics 365 the offline story on the MPOS has been significantly improved since AX 2012. Now it’s more or less a click on the register in Dyn365, install the POS and distribute data. A bit simplified approach to life but anyways.
Here’s something I’ve seen a couple of times now. There’s just no jobs and nothing to process …
The event log gives it away a bit:
Failed to get offline sync data in offline database due to Exception. Error Details: Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=RetailOfflineDatabase;Integrated Security=True;Persist Security Info=False;Pooling=True;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=True
And in the details it’s clear that we’re facing a rights issue here. But in SQL Express with no management tools on the POS machine we don’t have many configuration options and even less when we’re in a setup with a large number of registers.
All you need to do is add the user logged in to Windows to these two groups on the local machine:
Log off and on again to activate the changes. Start your POS and check the database connection status. Hopefully, you should see a lot of jobs now:
Moving data between different instances of Dynamics 365 should be relatively easy with the Data Management framework. Microsoft offers a long list of entities and default templates nicely grouped into relevant packages.
In 7.2 we did experience some issues with loading the default templates, but that seemed fixed in 7.3.2. The real problems showed up when trying to import the packages in projects created based on the export file.
It seemed like after importing file number one or two the Data Management forms got corrupted with an error stating: “Method not found: ‘Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl.parentControl()’.”
All other forms checked worked. After a full compile we were back on track, but that really wasn’t a working solution with multiple packages to import.
Debugging the forms didn’t add anything valuable to the troubleshooting. Going back to start and breaking it up into smaller chunks it appeared too random to be data driven as first suspected.
The solution – don’t ask how I ended there – is like this:
After each package I cleared the browser cache and refreshed the tab running my Dynamics 365….
And here a little pitch of Google Chrome that allows you to only clear the most recent part of the data:
It adds a bit of overhead to the data import having to do this step between each package; but nothing compared to the alternatives.
When looking at the hosted environments in LCS sometimes the tiles showing updates doesn’t seem to update probably. The symptoms could be that the numbers indicate that you’re missing some updates after updating it all or that the Last run date isn’t updating.
The status is updated through a scheduled task on the server.
It runs a powershell script in C:\LCSDiagnostics\ called CollectData.ps1
You can run it manually (through an elevated powershell) and that should hopefully update the figures.
It would have been nice to be able to see the run history on the task in the scheduler but for some reason that has been disabled:
That is easily fixed. Open the Task scheduler as Administrator and that gives you the option in the right most part of the form:
While testing MPOS changes I had to do an uninstall on my laptop. But every time I tried to uninstall it told me that there was an error and it couldn’t complete the uninstall and that I should contact the administrator.
And then it reappeared in the list of installed apps.
Trying to run the Uninstall-RetailModernPOS.ps1 gave a hint of what’s wrong:
You’ll usually find the script around here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365\70\Retail Modern POS\Tools\
There might be some clever way of fixing this, but in order to move forward I did a quick’n’dirty and not recommended way of fixing it:
Remove the check …
Edit the script by commenting out this line:
This is not recommended and definitely not in a production environment and I do not take any responsibility for any undesired outcome of this. But it did the trick for getting me forward.
Please note, that this doesn’t take away the error. So when you uninstall the next time it’ll still throw the error at you until you once again remove the check.