Moving data between different instances of Dynamics 365 should be relatively easy with the Data Management framework. Microsoft offers a long list of entities and default templates nicely grouped into relevant packages.
In 7.2 we did experience some issues with loading the default templates, but that seemed fixed in 7.3.2. The real problems showed up when trying to import the packages in projects created based on the export file.
It seemed like after importing file number one or two the Data Management forms got corrupted with an error stating: “Method not found: ‘Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl.parentControl()’.”
All other forms checked worked. After a full compile we were back on track, but that really wasn’t a working solution with multiple packages to import.
Debugging the forms didn’t add anything valuable to the troubleshooting. Going back to start and breaking it up into smaller chunks it appeared too random to be data driven as first suspected.
The solution – don’t ask how I ended there – is like this:
After each package I cleared the browser cache and refreshed the tab running my Dynamics 365….
And here a little pitch of Google Chrome that allows you to only clear the most recent part of the data:
It adds a bit of overhead to the data import having to do this step between each package; but nothing compared to the alternatives.
Normally when I need the table browser in Dynamics 365 I use a Chrome extension called “Table Browser Caller for D365FO“. Often you end up working in Incognito mode when having to access environments with a different AAD account. That requires you to make it available in Incognito mode:
BUT … what the extension does isn’t magic. What it does however is offering a very easy approach to building an URL that I never can remember. And when working in a browser without that extension you can write the URL change yourselve. So I figured that if I wrote it here I might remember it better or at least help somebody else remember it.
Add this to the URL to get the table browser: &mi=SysTableBrowser&TableName=. This will give you something like this:
Notice, that the table browser is being changed in a couple of areas compared to AX 2012. This means that changing data through the table browser is not allowed in production environments for example. Nice in regards to data consistency, but missed when having to dirty-fix data. 🙂
Occasionally you need to pass a link to a form in Dyn365O and you would like to include the query you used to filter out the relevant data.
In order to do this you need to flip a switch in your user options.
When that is set to Yes the query will be added in unreadable format in the URL. In this case we are going to add a filter on Workers.
Open the Workers form and click the funnel:
Add a filter. In this case I want all workers with personnel number starting with 0001:
After clicking Apply the parameter q is added to the URL. The complete URL can now be copied and opened in another browser. In this case I have copied from my MacBook to a Windows 10-machine and after login I get the same data as on my Mac:
The URL is a bit massive and brings back memories of Sharepoint URLs back in the days; but it does the trick.