All though AX 2012 is constantly moving the boundaries for what we can do we ended up hitting the roof on field/record sizes the other day.
After heavily increasing the string length on an EDT and a crashed synchronisation the AOS was unable to start up again. The error message received in the Event log was this:
Object Server 01: Unexpected situation
More Information: Total field length cannot exceed 64K. Please re-factor your table <tablename>
The obvious solution is to decrease the length of the EDT to get below the 64K limit.
But – to cut this short – we now have an AOS that cannot start due to an error we need the AOS running to fix. Well, we knew that we had a backup taken a couple of hours ago giving us a loss of changes that we could deal with if it were. However, it was worth giving it a shot trying to fix this.
The solution was quite simple. We found a similar versioned environment and did the following:
- Create a new model
- Make a small customisation to the EDT giving us the problems putting it in the new model
- Export the model
- Import the model in the model database of the AOS that will not start
- Start the AOS
- Skip the models changed dialog and do a full synchronisation from the AOT
Voila! We are back on track with no loss except for the time spent doing the above thanks to the model concept and AXUtil.