This is something that I forget 2 seconds after I’ve used it so now I’ll put it here as a note to self.
I have a series of TSQL scripts that I use once in different circumstances and often it’s a while between each go. In some of the I need to add some environment specific information and instead of having to scroll down through the text the query editor offers a way of prompting for parameters through a tagging of text like this:
select <Parameter name, Data type, Default value>
Before executing the script you press CTRL+SHIFT+M (this is the part I usually forget) and that makes the editor prompt you like this:
Replace the Default value with the appropriate text and click OK. This will update your SQL script to this:
Not the most mind-blowing thing in the world, but a great help.
In the Dynamics 365 POS it’s possible to enable a developer mode that gives you some additional options like seeing the id of the strings, grid views, coloring aids and so on. To enable these features you need to rebuild the POS with the value config.isDebugMode to true in the pos.js file. That’s easy in the CPOS but requires some build/deploy in MPOS.
Our POS developer gave me a tip to shortcut that … a lot. It’s a few easy steps and they go like this:
Enable Developer mode in Windows. That’s done in settings on the box running the POS
Start the POS and hit F12 to enable the developer aid
In the bottom of the console type in Commerce.Config.isDebugMode=true and press Enter
Go to your POS settings to enable the Developer mode flag in here.
This will make some things way easier. Notice, that when done like this it is only for the current session. Doing it in the pos.js file-way is permanent.
In Dynamics 365 the offline story on the MPOS has been significantly improved since AX 2012. Now it’s more or less a click on the register in Dyn365, install the POS and distribute data. A bit simplified approach to life but anyways.
Here’s something I’ve seen a couple of times now. There’s just no jobs and nothing to process …
The event log gives it away a bit:
Failed to get offline sync data in offline database due to Exception. Error Details: Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=RetailOfflineDatabase;Integrated Security=True;Persist Security Info=False;Pooling=True;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=True
And in the details it’s clear that we’re facing a rights issue here. But in SQL Express with no management tools on the POS machine we don’t have many configuration options and even less when we’re in a setup with a large number of registers.
All you need to do is add the user logged in to Windows to these two groups on the local machine:
Log off and on again to activate the changes. Start your POS and check the database connection status. Hopefully, you should see a lot of jobs now:
You know that the server is running, but your RDP connection request is denied.
This might be due to the introduction of the IP access check introduced not so long ago and on production environment servers. To get around this you need to add your IP address to the white list for the environment.
To do this click Maintain and Enable access:
Select Enable access:
Click + to add a new rule:
Fill in the form with a relevant name and the IP address to white list:
To get your IP you can ask Google or use one of the many web sites offering that service. For example www.whatsmyip.org:
As soon as your have created the new rule you’re good to go (and connect):
Moving data between different instances of Dynamics 365 should be relatively easy with the Data Management framework. Microsoft offers a long list of entities and default templates nicely grouped into relevant packages.
In 7.2 we did experience some issues with loading the default templates, but that seemed fixed in 7.3.2. The real problems showed up when trying to import the packages in projects created based on the export file.
It seemed like after importing file number one or two the Data Management forms got corrupted with an error stating: “Method not found: ‘Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl Dynamics.AX.Application.FormBuildControl.parentControl()’.”
All other forms checked worked. After a full compile we were back on track, but that really wasn’t a working solution with multiple packages to import.
Debugging the forms didn’t add anything valuable to the troubleshooting. Going back to start and breaking it up into smaller chunks it appeared too random to be data driven as first suspected.
The solution – don’t ask how I ended there – is like this:
After each package I cleared the browser cache and refreshed the tab running my Dynamics 365….
And here a little pitch of Google Chrome that allows you to only clear the most recent part of the data:
It adds a bit of overhead to the data import having to do this step between each package; but nothing compared to the alternatives.